Let’s look at the types of Oracle Consultant describing Consultant Skills, Consultant Personal Attributes and Consultant Typical Knowledge Areas

Consultant Types

1. Functional consultants/Business Analysts (B.A.’s)
    2. Technical Consultants
    3. Hybrid Functional/Technical Consultants
    4. ERP Super Users
    5. Project Managers
    6. Database Administrators

During a project Functional Consultants gather and analyze the requirements, design, configure & test the solution, and support the business once the project has gone live. Technical Consultants allow the project to implement customized functionality. Hybrid Consultants have attributes of a typical functional and technical consultant. ERP Super Users assist in providing business knowledge to the project team, and have detailed knowledge of how the business use Oracle.

Consultant Skills

The following diagrams illustrate the common skill-sets of functional consultants. Over time a consultant may pick up skills in many areas, but the project team will generally hire a person specifically for a “Functional” role, based on these skills:TheOracleOpportunity.indd

Solution Design
Solution Design is the role of the Solution Architect. This is a critical skill in delivering successful Oracle projects. A solution architect should be an experienced consultant who can recommend a project high-level approach & design. Once the approach is agreed, the solution architect keeps the project team aligned with the overall solution, from the start of the project to the finish.

Gathering Business Requirements
Ability to discover and assess business project needs. Once a requirements list has been created, is it decided if each requirement can be met by standard functionality, or a customising is required.

Analysis
The ability to analyse a problem or issue, and create a solution that is acceptable to project and business teams.

Support/Change Management
Supporting a system is important to ensure the customer can operate the new system, in the way intended by the project team. The Support phase happens directly after go-live, and is managed by the project team initially. Once the solution is stable, the Business as Usual support team takes over.

Testing
Testing is required to be sure your solution is robust. Testing should be carried out on standard processes & customizations, and should provide a comfort factor that the solution will operate as it should.

Configure
Configuration of the Oracle application is setting up the system so that it meets the business requirements. Configuration should control access to the system and prevent incorrect data flows.

Consultant Knowledge Areas

The following diagrams illustrate the common knowledge areas of a functional consultant :

TheOracleOpportunity.inddProcess Knowledge
A Functional consultant is required to understand business processes, so that they can ensure the new solution meets the requirement. Knowledge of basic processes will ensure better communication between functional and business teams.

Technical Skills
A functional consultant discusses the customized elements of the solution with the technical consultant, so any technical knowledge will result in better communication. Any technical knowledge will make it easier for the functional consultant to understand technical issues. Technical skills also enable the functional consultant to analyze historical data by writing SQL scripts. Standard reports provide some information but the best functional consultants can write SQL statements to further analyze problems or trends, and therefore identify the solution.

Testing
A functional consultant can test the standard and customized features of the solution thoroughly. Testing the standard features of a solution is required for business sign-off, and a test plan is a required deliverable for project go-live. In terms of testing customizations, the technical consultant is expected to test the component, but the functional consultant also tests the impact on other areas of the solution. This requires a broader view, and corresponding knowledge.

Solution Design
The functional consultant is required to understand the solution design, and communicate this to the functional consultant. Functional consultants will also offer advice to the solution architect on what is possible in various Oracle modules.

Configure Options
The Oracle EBusiness application can be configured in many different ways to suit business process. Once the required design is identified, the functional consultant produces a configuration document, which records the options chosen, and is a required deliverable for project go-live.

System Features
Part of the role of the functional consultant is to communicate various options available in the application. This involves discussing the business processes, reviewing the supporting system features, and recommending the best course of action for the project. A good functional consultant balances the needs of the business with the project timelines to decide which system features should be implemented.

Personality Attributes of a Functional Consultant/Business Analyst

TheOracleOpportunity.inddThe following diagrams illustrate the Typical Personal Attributes of a functional consultant or Business Analyst. It’s useful to review the diagrams to see whether your personal attributes correspond to what is required. With time and experience a consultant will develop attributes of both types, but this is a useful comparison to your personal attributes.

Logical/Analytical
A functional consultant uses analytical skills on an everyday basis on an Oracle project. Before a requirement or issue can be resolved it must be properly analyzed so it can be fully understood. Logical thinking is also required to define the requirement or issue characteristics, before the best
solution can be identified.
Technical Appreciation
A good functional consultant will have technical appreciation of the capabilities of the Oracle application. This appreciation is built up by discussing possible solutions with technical consultants, and by reviewing
solutions already implemented. Technical appreciation is particularly important where customizations are required.

Understanding Change
Most Oracle projects will require changes for the business processes. A good functional consultant can understand the changes required for the new solution, communicate those changes to the business users. Sometimes this will require defending the project team solution to the business.
Thorough Testing
Functional consultants are required to test the solution within their area of responsibility. A functional consultant must have good testing skills, as they are responsible for successful solution operation.

Communication Skills
All consultants require good communication skills but for functional consultants this should be a particular strength. Many of the functional tasks require communication, negotiation and agreement with business, functional & technical team members.
Customer Focus
A functional consultant should spend sufficient time on making sure his customer will be satisfied. A good functional consultant develops a good professional relationship with business users, so a level of trust is built between the business & project teams.

P.S.

Oracle Opportunity Book Cover

I’m excited to to offer you as a regular reader of ILoveoracle.com some free chapters from my book and some cool bonuses! The book is called “The Oracle Opportunity – A Blueprint for Success as an Oracle Consultant”, it was published by Oracle in 2012 and got some great reviews since – check them out here

All you have to do is click here and join the ILoveOracle community for the free book chapter and some cool bonuses.

These bonuses will increase your Functional skillset as there is one bonus for each skill in the Functional Consultant Skillset diagram above. Once you confirm you are joining the list, just tell me which bonus you are interested in, and why, and you will be on your way to increasing your functional skillset

• System Features – Work Instructions for Accounts Receivable Creation
  • Process Knowledge – Receivables Monthend Process diagram
  • Technical Skills – Sample from my SQL for Ebusiness course
  • Testing – 5 things I know about EBS Testing framework
  • Solution Design – Functional Design for Accounts Receivable Customer Report
  • Oracle Configuration – Accounts Receivables configuration BR100 extract

P.P.S. I’d be delighted to answer your questions in the comments below, please connect with me on Linkedin, and add your linkedin profile in the comment so I can see your background…

94 thoughts on “Become a Functional Consultant/Business Analyst

• March 4, 2016 at 07:56

Good day!
    I am a eBS Technical Consultant with 4+ years of experience with SCM and Finance modules. Now actively looking for job change. But I came to know that there are lot of Openings in Europe, Middle East and other on shores for HRMS modules rather than SCM&Finance. I got bit confusion here to go ahead. So kindly advise me here in this situation. Is it easy to move on to HRMS from SCM,Finance… How is the opening market for 4+years experience. Is it worthy to switch to HRMS. Kindly advise on this.
    BR,
    Ram

• February 24, 2016 at 07:48

Hi Aidan,

I have three and half years of experience as an Oracle Apps Technical Consultant. Current I am doing my MBA . Please guide me for my future career path. Should I take a role in Oracle functional consultant or should do CBAP certification for business analytics. Which one would be better?

• February 24, 2016 at 12:27

Sorry I don’t know anything about Business Analytics to make a comparison. What is your long-term goal after completion of MBA?

• February 3, 2016 at 13:16

Hi Aidan,

I want to ask you a couple of questions.

1)I am an ACCA finalist and I would be a qualified accountant soon. I really want make my way into IT and be an oracle consultant. With your expertise can you please very kindly can you advise me on how and where to get this training to be Oracle functional consultant ? Your advise is much appreciated .

2) I am going to be a qualified accountant soon, and wanting to make my way into IT to become a functional consultant. I was suggested by one of my friend, to start my career with ERP testing ( oracle).
    So, do you think software testing is a way to know the oracle system better and then become a functional consultant?
    If yes, how and where do I get the software testing training ? Your advise is much appreciated .

• February 4, 2016 at 14:40

Hi Bindu
      Thanks for your questions, In answer…

I see you have some Oracle experience already. I would advise you to work in a company that uses Oracle EBS so you can build up your experience and become a super user. Choose a company with a lot of M&A activity, so there will be a lot of Oracle projects that you can volunteer for. This the path to functional consulting for business people. A course would be of great assistance also, I am writing my own online course at the moment, due for release in March.

Testing is a good stepping stone into functional. The question is how do you get a testing role. If you are coming from the business world, working in a company that has frequent Oracle projects, there could be opportunities to become a business tester on that project. The question is how do you become a tester; and its the same advice as above, by becoming a superuser in your area (probably finance for you) and getting testing project experience. There may be ERP testing training available but I don’t know any, usually its wrapped into functional training. There is a guy called Sarndeep Nijjar (http://www.pablotesterbar.com/) who is a testing specialist.

First step should be to join a company with frequent Oracle projects, e.g. lots of M&A, and build from there.
      Aidan.

Blog Post: http://iloveoracle.com/how-to-become-a-functional-consultantbusiness-analyst/

Regards, Aidan.

• January 15, 2016 at 18:50

Hey , aidan i’m having an interview for functional consultant. I would like to know if there anything i have to read or to check in order to be prepared for it.

• January 9, 2016 at 21:01

I have worked in Oracle Forms and Reports for over 10 years, currently i am working as a business Analyst for the past 5 years also related to Oracle products. All my experience is based on in-house applications with the Oracle development tools (Oracle Forms/Reports/plql. I never worked in any of the Oracle products (ERP ,HR and so on ) . My question to you is to become Functional Consultant/Business Analyst do i need to be expert in any of the Oracle products (ERP ,HR and so on ) .
    Thanks

• January 19, 2016 at 10:38

Hi Sid
      You would need some experience in ERP to start as a functional consultant, although a permanent role in industry, with a company that has Oracle ERP is more achievable with your skillset. Are there companies in your area that use Oracle ERP? It would be good to see your linkedin profile to add more details.

• December 21, 2015 at 05:41

I have 8 years experience in software support like web application , desktop, mobile app. with software manual testing. GOOD DOMAIN KNOWLDGE LIKE INSURANCE , ACCOUNT, EDUCATION,
    I have done Diploma IT, BCA(2010). MBA IT(2015).

I WANT TO ENTER IN sap consultant / sUPPORT, FUNCTIONAL CONSULTANT .
    Please guide me .

• January 7, 2016 at 17:10

Hi Adinath
      This is an Oracle site, I dont offer any SAP advice, sorry.

• October 20, 2015 at 07:47

Dear Aidan,

Nice to hear your comments in the forum. Please help me to clear my some doubts.

I was worked as an ERP Functional support consultant (SCM) for a Manufacturing company for last 5 years. There I was also involved in Roll out activities of the project. I am also having the business domain knowledge of manufacturing industry. Now my question is, is it possible I can switch my career as an Oracle functional consultant for SCM module. I also want to know what are the opportunity, market & future in this profile. As now I have to take a wise decision for my career ahead.

• October 22, 2015 at 10:40

Hi Prakash
      Your business domain support and support experience is valuable, but roll-out experience is key in being hired into the type of consulting implementation projects that are most interesting and last the longest. Depending on how much rollout you have,
      Have you experience in any of the 6 key skills of a functional consultant? Objectives, Requirements, Design, Build, Test, Transition/Cutover. These are the areas you need to highlight in your experience.
      Can you volunteer for rollout work where you are currently working?
      Market, opportunity and future is good, depending on where you want to work, only local recruiters or functional consultants can tell you this, for your geographical area.
      You appear to have some good building blocks in place already…

• September 15, 2015 at 01:34

Hi Aidan,
    Thank you very much for your blog.
    I’m interested in starting a career in Oracle/ERP systems in SCM.
    I’m more interested in industrial type of companies than finance/banking.
    I’ve an IT background but more oriented functional than technical, any advice?

Salwa

• September 15, 2015 at 13:45

Hi Salwa
      Great to hear you are interested in transferring into ERP and SCM. I see you have some BA qualifications which is a good start, and some experience also. It seems like your experience is primarily functional and I recommend you stick to that path, provided this is what you enjoy?
      The next step is to get a full-time position with an company that has EBS installed, or with a consulting company, which may be easier said than done I suppose.
      In terms of recommendations, you should try to compile a list of SCM companies that have Oracle EBS installed in your chosen geographic area.
      I have a few ideas below:
      Oracle have a “Nextgen” initiative to help students understand the Oracle ecosystem, and how to get started; there were some events in 2014, I’m not sure what has happened since. You can register for info on this page http://www.ukoug.org/membership-new/member-activities/next-generation-project/
      Talk to recruitment agencies explaining your preference for SCM and see if you can find out options, they might offer to approach on your behalf, as recruiter commissions for permanent placements are high
      You should join the UKOUG linkedin group(s), figure out who is posting, and who they work for.
      Do the same for other Oracle EBS UK based groups or worldwide groups where UK people post
      Consider attending APPS15 if you can afford it http://www.apps15.ukoug.org/default.asp?p=14196
      In fact, even better than attending would be to volunteer for APPS15 or your local UK Oracle user group, to get to know the people and the Oracle landscape. Volunteering is a great way of becoming involved in local Oracle scene.
      Speaking about Oracle Scene, there is a magazine of the same name on the UKOUG website, and the latest edition is free-to-air http://www.ukoug.org/membership-new/member-activities/oracle-scene/
      Maybe you have tried some of these already? Let me know your thoughts…

• September 16, 2015 at 15:21

Hello Aidan,

I didn’t try any of your recommendations, so helpful for me to start.
        I do appreciate it.
        In fact I had experience as BA through my software engineering field and my orientation to the functional side, and I want to stick with it.
        I have some theory knowledge in Oracle and the ERP systems in general.
        But I’m still a little bit confused because I don’t have any experience in Oracle EBS.
        So I will try to find an opportunity and then move forward.

Many thanks,
        Salwa

• August 27, 2015 at 07:35

Hi Aidan,

I am bachelor in commerce and from last 1 year I am working as functional tester of Oracle ERP. I want to become Oracle apps functional consultant.
    It would be great if u can guide me how to gain the skills to become functional consultant. Is it necessary to learn technical language and as a fresher for which profile i can work?

• August 2, 2015 at 02:35

Hello Aidan,

I would like to tell you briefly what I have done and what I intend to do. I would like to get your inputs about it.

I was with Oracle for 8 years till 2014. Actually Oracle financial services software (i-flex was taken over by Oracle in 2007). I joined as a fresher and then became a principal consultant (like techno functional consultant). I have worked on their Core Banking product Flexcube (fair knowledge about the module but not deep knowledge about any module in particular). I am pretty confident with plsql, sql. I had to quit recently after moving to USA – precisely 1 year after I moved. I worked at a client site for a year in California but was asked to move east. I was researching what to do next and came across EBS. I want to get a certification in EBS financials (GL/AR/AP). Eventually I intend to do an MBA.

I am little confused how to go about it. I want to enroll in training but I cant afford an expensive training course. Please suggest and also provide your inputs.

Thank you.
    HT

• August 4, 2015 at 15:36

Hi HT
      Is there any integration between Flexcube and other Oracle EBS modules?

• August 5, 2015 at 19:00

Thanks for your response Aidan. Oracle FLEXCUBE provides core banking solutions to Banks worldwide… It is very vast but as far as I know I don’t think there is any integration as such.

• June 26, 2015 at 22:50

Hi,

I worked in Oracle on R12 Module for 5 years in a finance team. I would love to become a functional consultant and i would like to know if i can learn all the modules at once stretch or learn one by one? I am not from the IT background , so i want to know if learning this would help me or not? Please advise.

• August 4, 2015 at 15:33

Hi Sreerag

Good idea! This will help you immensely in your current job, even if you decide not to become a consultant.

Sure you can learn them one by one, starting with the ones that you know best. If you know finance modules, start with GL, then the sub-ledger modules that link to GL.

So if you first look at GL, you could then look at posting accounting from AR to GL, then creation of AR accounting entries in AR, so they end up correct in GL, etc.

If you dont know GL, start with the sub-ledger modules you know, and add another one each month, till you have good knowledge of them all.

Use the free r12 user guides and implementation manuals as your guide and re-create various functional scenarios on your test or dev enviroment in your job.

• May 13, 2015 at 12:09

Hi Aidan,

First of all, I would like to appreciate you with the knowledge you are sharing on your blog. Its truly wonderfull.

Well coming on to my part, I have left IT service based company where I was working as a Functional Consultant for SCM and EDI modules. Now I have joined product based company as an EDI Analyst from Oracle side. Would like to know how is it to make future in EDI? What weightage product based company has as comapre to IT service based company?
    Also what would be my goal for future from my current profile. If you can provide me your insights then that would be of great help.

Thanks

• June 3, 2015 at 11:28

Hi Sid
      I built my career working with interfaces in and out of Oracle EBS. I started as a technical consultant, transferred to functional and now I manage projects moving data between partner organizations and my clients EBS database. In industries where M&A is common, such as Pharma, there should be scope for EDI work in the short to medium term. In the longer term, Oracle Cloud(a no-customizations platform) will change this old project model. Making it easier and cheaper to install Cloud should see Oracle Cloud being installed across an organization, reducing the need for data interfacing between systems.

• February 27, 2015 at 14:02

hello sir,
    i am a mba finance fresher with an engineering background.i have a campus recruitment process of oracle ssi for functional consultant role in 3days, it would be of great help if you can give insights about how being a fresher i can fit into this role and what would be the expectations of recruiters in the interview process.

Thankyou

• February 16, 2015 at 11:27

Hello Aidan,

I’m having a experiance of 7.5 years in finance working with some private company. i have joined oracle course many time but couldn’t complete it due to work pressure and short of time. would like to continue the course and want to change my path as a functional consultant. So i need your advice how to start a career as a Oracle consultant in a systematic order.

• February 16, 2015 at 12:01

Hi Arjun
      What is your background? Have you got an up to date linkedin profile I could see?

• February 17, 2015 at 09:22

Hi Aidan,

i wouldn’t be available regulary on Linkedin you can search with the name as (Arjun Gandham)..So will get it touch with my office mail id. I have done masters in Finance.

Thanks, Arjun

• February 17, 2015 at 11:24

Hi Arjun
          You are coming from the user community, but not already using Oracle I assume? I work with consultants now who started life in the business side of an Oracle project, transferred to IT and built a consulting career. My advice would be to get hired by a company which runs Oracle EBS as a user, become a super user, get to know the Oracle system inside and out, from user perspective. Understand all of the business processes and volunteer for project work, where you can pick up Oracle functional knowledge along the way.

• February 13, 2015 at 09:28

hello Aidan,

I am working for a News Based company. Its been 5 years here since i am working. Now my team is completely moving into Editorial where u need to have rich journalism background to grow up. And since i don have any background as such i want to change my domain entirely.
    So i need suggetion from you if moving into Oracle field will be a good decision??
    Can you please tell how oracle functional consultant will help in my carrier?
    Will it be very difficult for me to learn it where i am standing at 30 now…

Plz Plz Plz suggest….
    I am really confused …

• February 13, 2015 at 14:21

Hello
      Thanks for your comment, moving to Oracle with no IT training background or experience will be very difficult. Usually you would move to an area close to your current skillset. You could read the Start-up of you by Reid Hoffman to get some ideas on career change, I recommend it.

• February 5, 2015 at 06:49

Hi Aidan,

I’m a batch 2013 Accounting graduate and been working in AP up until now. I was impressed how Oracle works and sort of bored (means I have already been familiar with ORACLE in such short time Oracle 11i and R12) with the same process in my tower everyday, plus my uncle is persuading me in having a certification in AP technical side. (From here, my interest goes to technical already). He has a certification and will soon be retiring in QATAR, I just want to ask to what particular books or modules should I start reading so I can have a certification for “Oracle E-business suite 12 financial management certified implementation specialist: oracle payables”.

Do you have any list of books which are very helpful for my desired FUNCTIONAL CONSULTANT in AP path.

Thanks,
    Dennise

• February 10, 2015 at 10:34

Hi Dennise
      I recommend you try to expand your knowledge from AP to extend to the full P2P stream. Technical certification would be useful but I think you can start your technical career in your current role, if you can get access to a SQL environment in your workplace. The best P2P book I know of is by Melanie Cameron http://amzn.to/1EUSzjJ. Please note this is a functional book.

• January 28, 2015 at 10:12

Hello Aidan,

I saw most of your discussion on oracle functional i have 3.9 yrs of experience in Oracle 11i & R12 in AP, GL & AR module ans quite in FA module ans am at Finance Executive level and i think am more efficient and working very smoothly in oracle also understand the oracle well i think am super user in oracle how can am become oracle finance functional please advice on this.

• January 9, 2015 at 10:57

Hi Aidan,

I have total 10+ years of experience working with Operational management role in KPO industry. Now I have shifted to ERP-functional role, I am a commerce background student. currently I am at 36, do you still recommend for Oracle functional role as career to start for the long term compromising on salary initially to start from scartch ?

Please advice.

• January 28, 2015 at 15:14

Hi Shravan
      I think Oracle functional consultants will be around in some way for a very long time to come. If you have some success in functional and you see yourself doing it, then you could consider a career change. Only you can answer this for sure as I do not know your local market.

• January 4, 2015 at 15:55

hi,
    I am working as end user on oracle apps from 3 years at production floor. I am a computer graduate with MCA. I want to make my career as oracle apps functional consultant, what can I do. please suggest me what to do and switch for a better job in India.

• January 9, 2015 at 09:55

Hi Ankush
      You are coming from the user community of the Oracle world. I work with several consultants now who started life in the business side of an Oracle project, transferred to IT and built a consulting career. My advice would be to become a super user, get to know the Oracle system inside and out, from user perspective. Understand all of the business processes and volunteer for project work, where you can pick up Oracle functional knowledge along the way.

• December 27, 2014 at 21:37

Hi Aidan,

Thanks a ton for providing EBS materials.I would like to introduse myself as Support Anayst in Oracle EBS but looking for opportunities in implementation of Oracle EBS Finance.Could you please suggest which book is hould prefer to get implemetation experience for every module in EBS Finance Functional

• January 9, 2015 at 09:54

Hi Ashutosh
      I suggest this book so start as an overview http://amzn.to/1tSlMrM – the Oracle Financials handbook. There are various books on each module if you need more detailed information. For instance the GL book by Melanie Cameron http://amzn.to/1DFiDff

• December 21, 2014 at 13:29

Hi Aidan,I am working as IT recruiter since 2013.I want to work as functional consultant.I do not have any domain experience.Which module will be suitable for MBA professionals other than finance,HR?. Please guide me a good career.my specialty is niche in something.

• January 9, 2015 at 09:57

Hi Viswa
      What areas of the MBA did you enjoy? A good career is one you will be happy working in, so choose an area that you like.

• December 12, 2014 at 19:31

Hello Aidan,

I ran across your website today as I was looking for information regarding the Oracle Functional Consultant career path. I’d like to get some feedback on possibly transitioning my career from Oracle business user to Functional Consultant, specifically in the realm of procurement and supply chain management.

My background is a liberal arts degree with the last 15 years working in procurement and inventory operations in the biotech/life sciences industry. My primary role has been as a buyer and have been with my current company for 8 years. I’ve served on the project teams for two full blown ERP implementations which first brought us from Excel spreadsheets into a small ERP system, and from that system into Oracle EBS. In both implementations I was closely involved with requirements gathering, data conversion, testing and training.

I’ve been working in the Oracle environment for about 3 years now and my day to day use is within the Purchasing module, Item Master Requisition Templates, etc. I’ve also spent some time using the Receipts functionality and performing miscellaneous inventory transactions.

What steps should I take to better position myself to transition in to Oracle consulting, and it what order? I figure I’d look towards an Oracle certification of some sort, but not sure which path is most appropriate. Would my experience, coupled with a certification, be enough to land an entry-level consulting position?

I look forward to any advice you can offer.

– DM

• January 28, 2015 at 15:24

hi DM
      Sorry for late reply. It seems like you have good experience in P2P area, and have experience working in implementation projects. When you say “closely involved” were you on business side, or project team actually gathering requirements, testing etc? In any case you have sufficient experience to get onto more project teams if they exist in your company – what is likelihood of more Oracle project work? Some companies look for business people to work exclusively on project teams, this is the type of role you should use to transition to oracle team and from there to consulting.

• November 13, 2014 at 16:35

hi,
    Iam mchanical engineer have 1 year 6 months experince in Scm dept working as Quality control engineer ,
    Now i want to start my carrer as oracle functional consultant manfacturing side
    tell me some MNC companies which offers training along with job

• November 24, 2014 at 15:15

Hi Satish
      Where are you located?

• December 3, 2014 at 18:40

Hi Aidan,

I am metallurgical engineer willing to start career as an ERP Functional Consultant. What will help me out to study an ERP System?

Hammad.

• January 28, 2015 at 15:18

Hi Hammad
          You would have to persuade some company to hire you as a graduate with no IT background. I dont know if this will be possible in your local market but maybe so. you can study ERP systems online. handsonerp is a good video tutorial site for Oracle EBS.

• October 25, 2014 at 07:28

Dear Sir,

I have been working in Supply chain management department in one indian based company where they used the oracle as ERP, I had worked with them as user of oracle such as “OM”,”OPM”,”PO(Limited),and,I have not completed any of certification programmes in oracle. now i strongly feel that, i want to become as functional consultant oracle, I want to know, if i complete the certification in ORACLE will it lead my career in functional consultant or do i need the strong work experience in all the modules in oracle.

Warm regards,

Krishnamoorthy V

• November 24, 2014 at 15:28

Hi Krishnamoorthy
      Sorry for the late reply. It seems you are coming from the user community of the Oracle world. I work with several consultants now who started life in the business side of an Oracle project, transferred to IT and built a consulting career.
      Certifications are useful but I personally would rather hire someone with demonstrable experience and no certifications, rather than the other way around.
      What do you think?

• October 16, 2015 at 12:13

Hi Krishnamorthy,
      I am Arun from Chennai, I have 10 years experience in otheERP, I studying Oracle ….just be touch me @ 8438964681, we can share our experience each other.

Thanks,
      Arun

• October 7, 2014 at 08:43

Hi Aidan,

I am computer science engineer . I was teaching programming for students and was house wife. Now, I want to set my career as functional consultant in oracle. What do you suggest. i have certification in oracle pl/sql and java programming.

• October 8, 2014 at 13:25

Hi Sidrah
      I suggest you join this oracle consultant blueprint I have created using this link http://bit.ly/1kCg9E0.

I transferred from technical to functional myself, you need to review the functional skills, knowledge areas and personality attributes above. How do you compare?

• September 24, 2014 at 16:42

Hi Aidan thanks for everything, I have logging on to your site everyday, I recently purchased your book The Oracle Opportunity. I read the entire book in two hours.

Well I’m interested in becoming an Oracle Functional Consultant, I have a Masters in Information Systems, I have a bachelors in business and over ten years management experience.

Can you please provide with the guidance needed to pin point what I really need to focus on to become an Oracle Functional Consultant. I’m pretty strong in business development and also have an accounting and a IT background. I want to know how to blend all of this together.

I am interested in the AP side of EBS, but I am not sure what will be required of me as a Functional Consultant. Any advice you can provide to me will be greatly appreciated.

• October 8, 2014 at 13:27

Hi Gerrick
      Thanks for your positive comments on the book, its getting great reviews. You need to review the functional skills, knowledge areas and personality attributes above.

I am also creating a functional course which will go into much more detail than the above.

You are on my mailing list so I will keep you informed.

• August 12, 2014 at 04:58

Hi Aidan,
    Thanks for your blog “How To Become a Functional Consultant/Business Analyst”.

I visited your page today when I was looking to transfer myself from JDE to EBusiness Suite.
    I am basically a JDE Technical Consultant but with more than 6 years of experience, I am quite confident to showcase myself as a Techno-Functional.
    I also have experience in PL/SQL, Oracle reports and forms in my previous projects. I am an Oracle SOA certified with good hands on knowledge on OFM.

In this scenario, would you recommend me to move to a different ERP product as there are more opportunities in this space compared to JDE in my part of country?

Appreciate your help.

Cheers
    Rapunzel

• August 12, 2014 at 09:25

Hi Rapunzel
      Thanks for your question. You could think about a move to EBS for sure, but without some experience the competition for roles may be tough.

I see you joined my Oracle Functional Course above, there is a lot of material in the course re: positioning yourself for hire on Oracle EBS projects.

In terms of the skills, knowledge areas and personality attributes in the diagrams above, how do you compare?

I’m looking forward to hear your replies & questions to the email course as you receive them.

• August 14, 2014 at 21:37

Appreciate your reply.

In terms of skills, I fully understand the technical development from reports, forms to interfaces, SQL, configuration etc to run the product. I haven’t had a chance to design a solution but had some occasions where I did some corrections to the specs by co-ordination with the functional guys. I will make sure I go through each process understand and then start my development. I do an end-to-end testing before delivering back to the functional con.
        I always had a good communication with my clients but not communicated in functional/process scenario but only as a technical consultant.

Thanks again.
        Rapunzel

• July 12, 2014 at 10:20

Hi,

I have been working with Oracle for the past three years as a research associate for CRM module. Within CRM, I have been part of SRM suite, Marketing automation tools and done company analysis of the prospective leads and accounts.

I want to get into functional consultant role. Please suggest how can I go about it.

Thanks

• July 15, 2014 at 09:39

Hi Varun
      Thanks for your question, of the knowledge areas and skills in the diagrams above, how many would you say you have? I assume your current employer has Oracle EBS CRM modules installed?
      thanks

• June 9, 2014 at 13:39

Hi Aidan,

My skill set includes knowledge of mandarin language only.
    So far, I have worked for Oracle corporation and Symphony services corp.In Oracle corporation my job was kind of data entry for Order management.Apart from Order management I have worked for couple of teams in Oracle such as Account payable and supply chain management teams and have knowledge of Oracle E-business suite (front end only).In Symphony Services my Job was to translate documents from Chinese language to English and vice versa.

Now I don’t want to end up as an data entry analyst or as an translator.

Please suggest as to how can I start.

• June 9, 2014 at 15:17

Hi Manish

Thanks for your question, there are Oracle super users who transferred into careers as Business Analysts, I work with several on my team.

Initially they used their business, process and application knowledge to represent the business on Oracle projects, building up more functional skillsets (see diagrams above) as they progressed.

Eventually the Oracle projects stopped, they got bored and left to become consultants with large consultancies or independents.

You would need to become a business & process expert, in Order Management for instance, and find a role/company where you can represent the business teams in IT projects. A company that is rolling out Oracle EBS would be perfect. Since you are familiar with the modules you have some experience, and a basis for developing into Super user role, and take it from there.

What do you think?

• June 5, 2014 at 11:43

Hi Aidan,

Thanks for the mail. I did indeed find you via your blog, I was looking for information/advice/opinions on Oracle Ebs careers last night when I ended up on it. I guess it ranks quite high in the Google search results, good for u 😉

I only just joined a consulting company in Antwerp last May, they have a platinum partnership with Oracle and are offering implementations, support, maintenance, etc for EBS and other apps.

I have an accounting background so I was hoping to do more functional stuff but I’ve only been doing support at one client in order to learn the technical side of things (which isn’t a bad thing of course) but I am struggling with Pl/SQL and all this very technical stuff that’s why last night I was wondering what was out there career-wise for people like me (as in, my background).

I am also wondering what’s the future of Oracle considering Fusion hasn’t taken off much yet and customers are happy with their unlimited support for r12 and are not too rushed to upgrade.

Don’t worry I am not expecting answers, that was just to let u know why I ended up on your blog.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far and for accepting me in your network.
    Regards
    Thomas

• June 5, 2014 at 11:53

Hi Thomas

My boss is an accountant who transferred to in business analyst/functional consultant roles and is now solution architect and project manager at Pfizer. A mix of accounting & business skills and Oracle EBS is a potent combination. He is quite technical also in fact and can write SQL and read PL/SQL. Your background indicates you could take the same road. Really functional roles are a good fit for your experience.

As far as your current role goes functional support is a great way to learn the application, not sure if learning pl/sql at a detailed level for a long time is hugely valuable to be honest. Learning SQL and Oracle table structures will be very valuable for analysis of issues though. It may be you are just helping out with technical work temporarily but unless it rocks your world you should try to aim for more functional support if you can.

You might be interested in this book if you are new to consulting : http://iloveoracle.com/oracle-ebusiness-consulting/consulting-book-review-the-nomadic-developer-surviving-and-thriving-in-the-world-of-technology-consulting/

I guess you saw the post on how to become a functional consultant? this is what I recommend for you, try to build up these skills, no doubt you already have some of them.

In relation to the future of Oracle consulting, I have been dabbling with Fusion, but there is only 1 single financials implementation in Europe as of 2012, mostly HCM & CRM. Its coming though, if you are getting r12 experience now that is fine for the moment. Fusion is a re-implementation rather than an upgrade so until there are more sites and defined benefits it wont take off yet really. You may see some new customers to Oracle installing Fusion, so I am maintaining a watching brief for the moment.

Cheers

• March 31, 2014 at 20:57

I am interested in becoming Oracle Functional Consultant. Please tell me what training advice would you offer me and what are the pre-requisites needed for this position. I have almost 10 years experience in accounts, audit and corporate field and now i want to change it to Functional consultants. Please advice. Thanks for your reply.

• April 1, 2014 at 11:22

Hi Khalid

You can see the skillsets, personality attributes and typical knowledge areas in the diagrams above.

I can see from your profile you have a business and accounting background, so you should frame your profile to emphasize your business experience, and its usefulness to a functional project team. In your experience you need to mention where you have used Oracle EBS.

Without oracle functional experience it might be difficult to be directly hired as a functional project team member, but you should look to be hired by companies who are implementing Oracle EBS, and state your interest in working on business teams that work closely with IT. Once you are established in business team you could look to transfer onto project implementation team.

In terms of training Oracle provide Functional implementer training, would you be interested in that?

• April 1, 2014 at 18:19

yes i used orcale in AL-Marai Company but just only for accounting purpose and some of generating report through SQL queries almost two years work on it. i have some idea of sql queries that how is run and how is getting data from data base table.

Yes i am intereted in Functional Implementer training. how can i do it?

• April 2, 2014 at 11:23

Hi Khalid
          Hi Khalid
          I think you need to add more detail to the Al-Marai job details on Linkedin. Have a think about where you used the functional knowledge areas, personality attributes and skillsets above in your experience, and add this to your profile. You need to provide evidence so that recruiters can find you, and so potential employers can see the depth of your experience.
          I will make some inquiries on the training and reply.

• March 24, 2014 at 14:07

Hi Aidan,

I am working as a Senior Technical Consultant in JDE for past 2.8 years. I am interested to switch my career into a Business Analyst role. After completing my MBA I just started my career as a Technical and now planning for a change. Am I going in right path?

If then how can I take myself into a BA role? Is there any certification that I can take up? or What are the skills that I have to develop to catch my dream?
    Am I late in taking up a decision now?

Thanks,
    Saranya Babuselvan

• March 25, 2014 at 12:48

Hi Saranya

You are not too late, considering most careers last for 30 years at least. I switched from technical to BA type roles after 10 years technical.

I still use a lot of technical skills in the BA aspects of my roles. For instance it helps a lot to apply technical background for customization delivery, and increases your analysis skills as you can get data directly from tables.

I transferred by volunteering for functional tasks wherever possible, to build up my functional skills. I was hired for my first functional role by an ex-colleague who knew I could deliver, and I progressed from there. This is one approach open to you.

I assume there are JDE functional implementer certifications but I am not an expert in JDE.

I suggest you review the graphics above to see how many of the functional consultant skills, knowledge areas and personality attributes you have, and see how you can build them up.

What do you think?

• March 26, 2014 at 14:28

Hi Aidan,

Thanks for your reply. I will start working on the skill set required for a Functional Consultant.

Good Material.

Thanks,
        Saranya

• March 19, 2014 at 03:04

Dear Aidan,

Ever since I was introduced with Oracle Financials almost two years ago, I have been trying to land on a junior job as a Functional Consultant or a BA. Unfortunately I don’t have the deep knowledge of oracle even though I’m certified in Oracle financials essentials and GL. Also there is the thing that no one wants to hire a junior consultant.
    I had experience in accounting and finance since 2006 and two years ago I had the opportunity to become a BA for an XBRL reporting software.
    Do you think I still have the shots to become an oracle ebs financials-functional consultant or am I wasting my time chasing something in the wrong direction?
    Please help and I’ve already added you on linkedin.
    Thank you.

• March 19, 2014 at 10:43

Hi Fasika
      Thanks for your mail and for the invite on Linkedin. Your experience and profile looks good, it seems to me you have some good experience already. Based on your profile are you currently working as a BA? Exactly what types of roles and companies are you looking for? What has been your experience so far? Have you been able to get to interview stage? Do you have any visa issues?

• March 20, 2014 at 04:17

Yes. I’m currently working as a Business Analyst for a small Financial Reporting Software not Oracle EBS. As a full time BA, I have almost 3 years of experience in gathering requirements, analysis and testing the software. I would say that I’m an analytical thinker with good communication and testing skills. So, I’m more fit to become a Functional Consultant. And I would choose to work with Oracle ERP consulting and implementation companies who takes on different projects. I’m thinking that I would have the chance to work with different companies and people to help me build my knowledge.
        I also had a part time experience for the past two years in Oracle EBS as a Functional Analyst executing application setups. And I was not involved in consulting.
        P.S. I had few interviews but not successful enough to get hired. And I don’t have visa issues here in the US.

• March 24, 2014 at 10:14

Hi Fasika

I think I have the complete picture now, thanks. I agree based on your background, and the skills you have already started to build up, you are a good fit for a functional consultant/BA role.

First of all I don’t think you are wasting your time, but I have some suggestions for you:

Let me give you an example; my manager is a solution architect and has been working in Oracle EBS projects for 10 years. He comes from business background, and was an accountant like you. He worked within industry, his company implemented an Oracle project
          and he transferred from business into the project team. Once the project was over there was no more interesting work to do and he left. He was hired for my current client in the BA team as indepdent consultant, and progressed to solution architect and is one of the key team members. We have many BA’s/PM’s on the team but one of the things that gives him an edge is his accounting and business background.

I think you also consider roles within industry with large companies implementing Oracle roll-outs. My current client has been running an international Oracle project for almost 10 years, and the permanent staff on the project team have made giant strides in career terms over that time. There is a lot of variation available in multinational projects working with different country markets, shared services centers and corporate HQ in US.

In terms of where you position yourself in the job market I therefore suggest you define yourself in Profile summary as a business person transferring into IT. You will add valuable business and accounting experience to the Oracle team, while you build up your BA skills. Also mention you have already started this process. For each position you have only mentioned BA skills you used. I want you to add a paragraph to the top of each position with a summary of the type of business and project, then add the BA-specific skills underneath.

What do you think?

• December 7, 2013 at 21:36

Hi Aidan, I am interested in becoming Oracle Functional Consultant. Do you train people?If you don’t what training advice would you offer me in terms of what and what to do and how to get the training and also do you know of good face to face trainer here in Ireland and also online training from anywhere in the world that you can suggest for me please? Thanks for your help.

• December 12, 2013 at 12:14

Hi Sunny
      I do train people!
      Can you connect with me on Linkedin so I can see your profile?
      ie.linkedin.com/in/aidanduffy/

• September 11, 2013 at 10:37

Hi Aidan,

I have 4 years of experience in the Oracle Accounts receivables module (functional). Now I would like to become Oracle Financial consultant. Can you please guide me.

• December 12, 2013 at 12:14

Hi Vijay
      Can you connect with me on Linkedin so I can see your profile?
      ie.linkedin.com/in/aidanduffy/

• September 5, 2013 at 19:34

HI Aidan

I Want to make my carrier in oracle hve done oracle developer course in 91 and am working as ERP consultant for 5 year planning to join apps financials and what will be entry level job opportunity Pls guide me what is best way to learn books ,internet etc..

Thanks
    Bhaskar

• September 8, 2013 at 16:18

Hi Bhaskar could you reply with your Linkedin profile so I can see what your skills are?
      Thanks

• April 2, 2014 at 10:38

in.linkedin.com/pub/bhaskar-k/51/781/16a

• April 2, 2014 at 11:10

Hi Bhaskar

If you have 5 years as a functional support you possibly have all the skills you need, but your profile does not show any of this, so it’s hard to know for sure. Have a look at my Linkedin profile and recent consulting roles to use as an example. Also use the Project feature to add more low-level details.

Once you have created this detail you should be able to compare it to the functional skills, personality attributes and knowledge areas listed in the post above.

Depending on what is missing, there are various approaches to filling the gaps. Once you add the detail and know what is missing, we can decide exactly how to gain that knowledge.

My profile:ie.linkedin.com/in/aidanduffy/

Don’t forget to send me an invite.

• April 2, 2014 at 15:45

hi updated my profile Please have a look and advice

• April 2, 2014 at 17:01

Hi Baskhar
            Your profile looks very good! So which skills, attributes and knowledge areas are you missing?

• August 22, 2013 at 15:30

Hi Aidan,

What are the pre-requisites you need to have to become Functional consultants/Business Analysts.
    And what would be their roles in a project?
    I am from Testing Engineer, i have some decent knowledge about OTM (Oracle transportation Management)

• August 23, 2013 at 12:38

Hi Srini
      I see the consultant knowledge areas and personality attributes(indicative of successful consultants) as pre-req’s to be a “complete” functional consultant. You should be able to get a functional consultant role with part of these skills, depending on what the project needs. Not all projects require the full functional skillset for every functional consultant. I am still building my functional skillset, but I have been working in functional roles for approx 5 years.

Have a look at this post re: roles on a project

• July 10, 2013 at 11:05

Dear Love Oracle,

Can you please tell how oracle functional consultant will help in my carrier. I did MBA Finance, and also can you please suggest me which institute is better in hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India.

• June 7, 2013 at 10:42

Hello Aidan,

Could you please tell me in what manner will the Oracle certification help in my career?

• June 7, 2013 at 10:52

Hi Satish

I am in favour of certification especially the Implementation specialist certifications.

In credibility terms certification is a business advantage so people who don’t know you can be reassured of your expertise, it proves you at least have the theory of implementation behind you.

From a personal perspective certification is a career advantage, certification can be a differentiating factor compared to other consultants. It displays a personal investment of time and money in your career. I am considering Fusion Implementation certification myself at the moment.

One more thing, certification is an advantage to people selling Oracle/JDE skills over odesk or elance. Potential customers can be sure of your skills when your profile is certified.

• February 22, 2013 at 19:28