Can you become a functional consultant?
Most people do not start as functional consultants, they transfer in from technical, business or support. If you’re coming in from the business, or if you want to build up your existing functional skills to a full functional skill-set, then today’s video is going to be part of a roadmap that you use to become a functional consultant.
Six key Functional Skills?
The six key functional skills are Objectives, Requirements, Design, Build, Test, and Transition. These are also the 6 key phases of an Oracle project. And if you’re coming in from the business, how do you make the transition from business department into functional?
Use existing Business skills
There are two skills that you need, process skills and Oracle skills. What we’re talking about is the steps of the process that your business operates, whether it’s in order-to-cash or purchase-to-pay or record-to-report. And the Oracle skills are how you progress those process steps in Oracle.
Triggers for Oracle projects
Oracle E-business Suite or Oracle Cloud projects are triggered by:
- Implementation or upgrade of Oracle EBusiness Suite/Financials
- If they are buying, selling or reorganizing part of their company
If you’ve been an Oracle business user, especially if you’ve got super user experience, then you can get onto an Oracle project and transfer into functional consulting from there.
Transfer from Business into Functional
- Stage 1 Business User – You start out as a business user so you’re able to enter to progress your processes in Oracle. This means you can follow process steps in Oracle.
- Stage 2 Business Super User – Then you become a super user and if something goes wrong with your process, you don’t have to raise a ticket every time, you can recover items that get stuck and you become an expert in that process area. Then you develop into learning the rest of the processes in your department until you are an order-to-cash(O2C) process expert or Purchase To Pay (P2P) or a record-to-report(R2R) process expert.
- Get on an Oracle Project Team as Business representative – This phase is where you are seconded onto a project team for the duration of a project. This is where you utilize you’re your super user and process knowledge to provide a key support to oracle project teams
Business Person Project Tasks
This diagram shows what you do on a project team as a business person.
- B1 Phase – Requirements and Test
When you start as a business user and go into the functional role, you’re in the B1 phase so you can perform testing i.e., support and carry out testing and you’re able to contribute in requirements stage; capturing business requirements and communicating that to project team
- B2 Phase –Design and Objectives
The next phase is you start to develop your skills capturing high-level business objectives, and deep-diving into proper design, designing an interface from a business point of view.
- B3 Phase –Transition and Build
The final stage there is to be able to manage the transition phase and be able to manage unit testing with developers.
Business Team member importance on Oracle project teams
When I worked as a project manager for my pharma client in Belgium all of my team was new to pharma, but we had a business user team member who was extremely useful to the team. He represented the business to the project, and more importantly he transferred a huge amount of process information to our ream. There is no other way we could have gotten this information so he was an invaluable member of our team. Since this project he has built his reputation and now project manages SAP implementations on behalf of the client.
I hope that gives you a bit more information on if you’re a business user, how to transfer into functional consulting. We’re going to have more videos on building up the rest of your full functional skill-set.
If you’ve got any questions, I’d love to hear them in the comments below.
Until next time, bye-bye.